July 7, 2014 1:14 am
You can fight these pests without pesticides if you follow these suggestions:
Restrict access to food sources
• Tightly close any food packaging, like boxes and bags of cookies, chips, cereals or candy.
• Store items such as flour, sugar, rice or pasta in airtight bags or plastic containers.
• Clean any food spills or stains off the countertop, floor, and other areas throughout the kitchen.
• Do not let crumbs sit in pet dishes.
• Remember to take out the kitchen trash frequently, preferably every night.
Limit access to sources of water or liquids
• Try not to leave water drops or other liquids in the kitchen or anywhere else around the house.
• Wash and dry your dishes immediately after each meal.
• Repair leaky faucets or pipes in the bathroom, kitchen, backyard and any other area of the house.
• When gardening or watering plants, don't leave puddles or excess water.
• Open the bathroom window after bathing to clear out the steam.
Limit entry access to your home
• Seal cracks around pipes, doors and windows.
• Repair holes or tears on screen doors and windows.
• Close off the spaces underneath doors.
• Throw away or recycle unwanted boxes or wrappers.
• Put mouse traps inside and outside the home in areas where children or pets can't access.
Published with permission from RISMedia.